- First-of-its-Kind Study Finds Lightning Impacts Edge of Space in Ways not Previously Observed13 Sep, 2021
- 12 UCF Researchers Honored with Asteroids Named After Them31 Aug, 2021
- Arecibo Observatory Collaborations & Exhibitions (April - June, 2021)21 Jul, 2021
- The Arecibo Observatory: Current and Future Operations of the Facility21 Jul, 2021
- Arecibo Observatory: Unparalleled Science and Discovery21 Jul, 2021
- Info for AAS #239 AO-focused Special Session #20: The Arecibo Observatory REU Program - a Career Launchpad20 Jul, 2021
- AO Participation in the CEDAR 2021 workshop20 Jul, 2021
- Facilities and Operations Highlights (July 2021)19 Jul, 2021
- Arecibo Salvage Survey Committee Update for History of Astronomy19 Jul, 2021
- The Big Data Program: Arecibo Observatory Data Archive 19 Jul, 2021
- Sustainability Project: Rain Collector14 Jul, 2021
- A Career is Born at the Arecibo Observatory 14 Jul, 2021
- In Memoriam: Dr. Gordon Pettengill08 Jul, 2021
- Arecibo Observatory Spies “Pristine” Comet Before the Telescope’s Collapse08 Jul, 2021
- GBO/AO Single Dish Observing School (Hybrid) - September 13-21, 202106 Jul, 2021
- “Arecibo Observatory - Legacy and Future”29 Apr, 2021
Info for AAS #239 AO-focused Special Session #20: The Arecibo Observatory REU Program - a Career Launchpad
Byadmin20 July 2021 Education
In this Special Session, we will hear from former AO REU students, spanning a wide range of career stages and research areas, about their current research, education, and/or outreach efforts, and about how their AO REU experiences shaped their career paths. The session will include a video* produced for the occasion featuring AO REU alumni reflecting on their experiences, and an alumni panel discussion. Wednesday, Jan. 12, 10-11:30am.
*If you were an REU student at the Arecibo Observatory, we would love to hear from you! We plan to showcase just how impactful the AO REU program has been to so many people all over the world, as the community plans for the future of AO (we’d also just like to connect with you!). We are asking former AO REU students to record a very short (no more than 2 minute) video about their AO REU experience.
Some questions to potentially address in your 2 minute video:
- What is your name and where are you at now? What are you up to now career-wise?
- When were you at Arecibo and with whom did you work?
- How did your experience impact you and/or your career?
- Can you share a specific memory from your time there?
We will edit these into a montage, which we hope to share at the upcoming AAS Special Session. Please send your video, any photos from your time at AO that you are willing to share, and the signed release form to Ricardo Correa (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Oct. 1, 2021.
Article written by Dr. Tracy Becker - AO Collaborator / SwRI Research Scientist
Director of the Science and Visitor Center
Keywords: observatory, arecibo, radio, telescope, education, outreach, workshops, STEAM, STEM, visitor, center, REU, Research, opportunity, undergraduates, nsf, national, science, foundation