last updated 23may12
23may12: strobe lights from yiye avila's tower on
23may12:strobe lights from yiye avila's
tower on mount roncador
Update jun12: Angel
talked to the tower manager. He said the red lights that were
there failed. They will get new red lights then discontinue the
use of the strobe.
Strobe lights have been seen coming from atop
the mountain range behind the observatory for at least the past
few months. On 21may12 I made a video of yiye avila's tower
starting around 18:30. The setup was:
the video (about 1minute) (.MOV)
- canon sx230hs camera
- 56x zoom (14 optical, x4 digital).
- shaky tripod standing on the grass below my house (about 1km
north of the observatory).
- There are two strobes, one 1/2 way up tower (just below
the donut). The second strobe is at the top.
- Later that evening a made a second video using the high speed
(slow motion recording in the camera..yes all this for
- At 240Frames/sec the strobe was seen in two frames
- 1./240 =4.1 millisecond. So two frames is about 8
- The strength of the strobe lights was not the same in the
two frames, so part of the duration may be that the two
strobes are not exactly synchronized