Azimuth motor torques

dec07

az motor names/locations
az motor torques vs velocity (by month)

23jun08: on 11jun08 mot82 torques read non-zero when power off.
21feb08: az motor torques for group 1 and group 2.
05feb08: motor torques vs az after amp pots adjusted.
jan08: variation in az motor torques.
Dec07: az motor torques vs az position



Motor names/locations (top)

    There are 8 azimuth motors numbered 11,12,41,42,51,52,81,82. They are located at:
az motor
          locations

az motor torque vs velocity by month  (top)

    Each month the motor torques are binned in velocity (-.5 to .5 deg/sec with 51 bins). These velocities are computed from the encoder motion (not the amplifier spdMon). The average for the month is then computed for each bin. The average torques versus velocity are plotted for all the motors and then for motor groups 1 and 2 (a motor group is a diagonol set of motors). A final plot of the counts for each velocity bin is included. The data includes all motion of the telescope: tracking and open loop slewing.
Az torques vs velocity by month
year
jan
feb
mar
apr
may
jun
jul
aug
sep
oct
nov
dec
2017
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2016
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2015
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2014
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2013
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2012
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2011
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2010
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2009
.ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf .ps  .pdf
2008
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
2007
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
2006
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
2005
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
2004





.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
.ps  .pdf
2003






.ps  .pdf






processing: x101/agc/mottq/aztqbymon.pro

11jun08: Az mot82 torque reads when shutoff in auxmode.

    On 10jun08 around 2300 hours azimuth motor 82 had an amplifier failure. The Azimuth was switched to aux mode 1 where only motors 11,12,51,52 were in use. The motor contactor for motors 41,42,81,82 was shut off. The amplifiere was replaced 11jun08 after 8am.
    The plots show the azimuth status for 11jun08(.ps) (.pdf) :

SUMMARY:

processing: x101/080623/chkaz.pro


21feb08: Az  motor torques  for  motor groups 1 and 2.  (top)

    The azimuth motors can be  run with only 4 motors using auxiliary mode. Aux mode splits the motors into 2 groups: group 1 uses motors 11,12,51,52 while group 2 used motors 41,42,81,82 (be careful with the only display messages which tell which group was disabled rather than which group was used).
    On 21feb08 we measured the motor torques for individual motor groups. The setup was:
    The plots show the motor torques when running with motor group 1 or group 2 (.ps) (.pdf):
Notes on how the az drive system works:  (see  dcs block diagram of hagen.. my az version)

Conclusions:

processing: 080221/chkaz.pro


05feb08: Az motor torques vs az after adjusting amplifier pots.   (top)

    The azimuth amplifiers have pots that can be adjusted to change various parameters. The pots with there "correct" settings are;
    We found that some of the motors had there curLimit not at the default position and some of the cmdScale pots were not all the way CW. We adjusted all 8 to be the default value.
    After adjusting the pots, we tested the torques by moving the azimuth. The setup was:
    The plots show  the torques during the az swings (.ps) (.pdf):
Conclusions:
processing: x101/080205/aztorques.pro


jan08: variation in az motor torques.  (top)

    The azimuth motors were causing problems in dec07 after the painting project. Some adjustments were made to the amplifiers at this time. After these adjustements, the torques measured by some motors showed more variation than before:
    The plots show the azimuth motor torques (.ps) (.pdf):

Conclusions:

processing: x101/080130/chkaz.pro


Az motor torques vs az.  (top)

    On 09dec07 6 azimuth swings were done with the dome at 15 degrees za and the carriage house at stow. The azimuth moved at .1 degrees/second. The motion went from -90 to +270 degrees azimuth. 3 of the swings were clockwise (CW) and 3 of the swing were counter clockwise (CCW).

The measured torques during the 6 swings.

    The plots below show the torques during the az swings. The 3 torques for each direction have been averaged together. I've plotted the inner (black), outer (red) motors on the same frame. Each page show 90 degrees of motion starting at -90 and going to 270.

    Torques during the  3 clockwise swings (.ps) (.pdf):
    Torques during the  3 counter clockwise swings (.ps) (.pdf):

Conclusions:

Processing: x101/071209/aztorques.pro

page_up
home_~phil