LEAPFROG TECHNIQUE OBSERVING INSTRUCTIONS
THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND WILL
CHANGE AS THE TECHNIQUE IS DEVELOPED
- Logout of current observing session if necessary
- run CIMA
- Put in observing number (a1961) and observer initials.
from the observing modes
- From the 'Choose receiver' widget: Choose ALFA
this receiver now'. Dismiss widget
- From the 'Observer's interface' select Pointing Control.
- Within Pointing Control click on 'catalog'. Find and
select the catalog name, eg zoa_A.cat
- Select your first source from the list. Click on 'Point'.
this widget open (i.e. don't click 'dismiss')
- Check to see if the oberver's monitor is
running. If not,
either open one from the right-click menu on dataview, or open an xterm
and start it up with % /home/aoui/alfa/alfadatawin &
- Check to see if Quicklook is running. If not,
one from the right-click menu on dataview, or open an xterm and start
up with % /home/aoui/alfa/obswin &
- Ask the controller to check if the ALFA amps are
- Open the 'User preferences'
- find the 'send to executive box' and type in 'source
then click 'send to executive'
- From the 'Observer's interface' select 'Receiver IF/LO
- From the IFLO widget select New & Improved setup,
up the New & Improved IFLO control.
- Select your rest frequency by clicking on the spectral
and choosing the HI rest frequency.
- Also choose 100MHz for the bandwidth.
- Click on 'Show These Choices' in the 'New Improved IFLO
to check that the your choices are correct. (Don't worry if the display
differs from the permanent 'Display of Proposed IFO Settings' screen as
this only refreshes once observations have begun).
- Dismiss the Display you just opened.
- CLICK ON APPLY THIS SETUP.
- Dismiss the 'New improved IFLO Control' widget.
- Dismiss the IFLO Control widget.
- Click on Backend Control.
- Click on the 'ALFA Backend Control' button.
- Dismiss the Backend Control widget.
- From the WAPP ALFA widget click on 'Configure WAPP ALFA'
- Click on the 'Adjust Power' button. All the values for
the ALFA observation monitor should be blue, if not repeat the
steps. Then get assistance.
- From the 'observer's interface' select 'Command File
- If you know your observing script filename and path,
enter it in
the box next to the 'Command file' button. If you don't, click on the
file' button and use the file navigation tool to find your observing
- Use the Starting Line Number box to find the line in
file you wish to start from.
- Click on 'Start Command Line Observation' to begin your
In case of
difficulties with the WAPP or CIMA,
try the following:
Just about all problems result from a communication failure
go through the following list of instructions until things are fixed:
In the case of a display problem: Perhaps the grabber has stalled. Try
clicking on 'restart grabber' - then confirm.
The Wapps may be acting up: go to CIMA and click on 'pulsar observing
- then 'more' - then 'restart wapps'
(you may need to 'restart grabber' on the alfamonitor window).
- Try logging out (and then back in) of CIMA entirely and
Call the Friend of the observations.
developed by Steve Schneider, Erik
Muller, Robbie Auld & Sabina Sabatini Please email any comments
and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
and cc to email@example.com