AGES Observing Checklist for CIMA 3.1 –
- Ask the Telescope Operator to select ALFA.
- The Telescope Operator will start up TOGS (ask for ‘TOGS for
AGES’ to avoid confusion with the TOGS setup for ALFALFA).
- Login to Observer2 as “dtusr” (password is on the monitor, if
observing remotely the Operator will let you know what it is)
- Start CIMA from the right-mouse-button menu. Choose the
‘smart’ version of CIMA (version 3.1), the project number
‘a2048’, and the ‘Line’ mode.
- Select ALFA on the ‘Receiver selection menu’ and hit
- Open the Command file observing window by clicking ‘Command file
observing’ on the CIMA main menu
- Load and run the YYMMDD.cmd file corresponding to the current date.
If there are both morning and evening observations for AGES, there may by
YYMMDDam.cmd and YYMMDDpm.cmd (or YYMMDDa.cmd and YYMMDDb.cmd) files, make
sure to select the correct file for the time of observation.
- The command file should automatically run both the TOGS calibration script
and the AGES observing. If there are problems, then the command file will
need to be restarted.
- If there are problems during the TOGS calibration, should be restarted
from the top.
- If there are problems during AGES observing, it shoudl be restarted from
the line “LOAD ages_mock.conf”
- Watch the sky roll by for a few hours. Don't forget to fill in
the log form available at
- Submit the log, and move the files following the instructions
that will appear on the browser.
- Go to bed!!
Notes and trouble-shooting:
- If a scan is aborted, it is no longer necessary start
a new FITS file as CIMA now does this at the start of the
- If the WAPPs get confused, restart them by clicking the
“Restart the WAPPs” button in the “CIMA
utilities” window, then restart the command file from the beginning and
note the event in the AGES log. For AGES, CIMA will calculate the next scan
that can be reached in time and will start that scan. For TOGS, it will
be necessary for the observer to decide whether there is sufficient time
(around 7 minutes) to run the calibration script.
instructions for AGES
Prepared by R. Minchin and E. Momjian
Wednesday, 26-May-2010 15:51:13 AST, by R. Minchin